Question about PizotifenWhat is the dose of Pizotifen for a 16 year old female with migrain?
Pizotifen is a prophylactic treatment taken every day in the hope of reducing frequency of migraine attacks. A good result is a 50% reduction in attack frequency. Start with 0.5mg every evening (10-12 hours before planning to get up). Start with 0.5mg; maximum is 4.5mg. It often causes weight gain and sleepiness. Some experts (e.g. NICE) regard it as of unproven efficacy, I think it can work well in young people but is less effective in adults. Treatment duration is 3-12 months. It is useful to keep a diary to assess response.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- my son forgot to take his morning dose of tegretol and kepra only remembering at 6.30 pm to take it should i give him his second dose of kepra and only 200mg of tegretol tonight at eleven then his usual dose in the morning?
- When i started diclomax i have had pain stomach for about 2h is this normal?
- What are the side efects of epilim granule?
- What is the difference between Sinamet 62.5 and Sinamet 12.5/50?
- For how long should we use phenobarbitone syrup after opening the bottle?
- Can i take dicloflex with co codamal?
- can oramorph make you forget things eg. what day it is?
Do you have a question about Pizotifen ?
Our experts answered the following question about Pizotifen :
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.