Question about Knee replacementI had a right total knee replacement over 3years ago it will not straighten -20 or bend more than 60degrees since operation . I have had 3 operations MUA and CPM with extensive physio also had open lumpectomy with CPM and physio knee is still as bad DOES THE JOINT NEED REVISION?
If your knee truly is 20 degrees short of extension and only bends to 60 degrees then its range of movement is from 20-60 degrees (ie 40 degrees)- which for a total knee replacement is extremely unusual.
You mentioned the surgery was performed 3 years ago and that you have had several further attempts at increasing the range of movement including MUAs, CPM and an open (?arthrolysis) yet you have failed to improve.
Some more answers to questions are required - was it a TKR following an arthrodesis (fusion of the knee), do you have an underlying neuromuscular disorder, have you consulted your original surgeon to discuss this further.etc...?
Assuming your pain and dysfunction is similar to (or worse) than that before the surgery and no medical comorbidities preclude you from having further surgery then revision knee replacement would be a reasonable option.
Orthopaedic surgeon, Orthopaedist
Yes, sadly that knee won't improve at this stage without more surgery. Revision surgery is the only option...
See all 4 questions about Knee replacement
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- I had TKR 10 weeks ago and experience clunking on bending and straightening. Will this improve? My patella was too thin to resurface during surgery.
- How long after a knee replacement before I can drive?
- I had a TKR 6 weeks ago. Is it alright to take naproxin?
- At 21 years of age, I suffer with syndactyly on the first, second and third toes of each foot. I have had an operation performed on one foot, the results of which have not alleviated the daily pain and discomfort of the resulting bone deformation. What can be done to resolve this? Thankyou.
- I have heard of plastic surgery, but not orthoplastic surgery. Can you tell me about this kind of surgery please?
- Examination of the aorta revealed the presence of a stent below the origins of the renal arteries. The stent extended into the right and left common iliac arteries. The right common iliac stent appeared to have separated from the main stent. From PM report. What is the likely cause?
- Can you have femural shortening for excessive height?
- My daughter has macro-syndactyly and will need a corrective repair. what specialist could do it?
- What type of x-Ray would have been used on the head to view the pituitary gland in the late 1970's?
- what are the risks of prostate biopsy?
Do you have a question about Knee replacement?
Our experts have answered 4 questions about Knee replacement.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.