Question about Knee replacementI had a right total knee replacement over 3years ago it will not straighten -20 or bend more than 60degrees since operation . I have had 3 operations MUA and CPM with extensive physio also had open lumpectomy with CPM and physio knee is still as bad DOES THE JOINT NEED REVISION?
Yes, sadly that knee won't improve at this stage without more surgery. Revision surgery is the only option...
If your knee truly is 20 degrees short of extension and only bends to 60 degrees then its range of movement is from 20-60 degrees (ie 40 degrees)- which for a total knee replacement is extremely unusual.
You mentioned the surgery was performed 3 years ago and that you have had several further attempts at increasing the range of movement including MUAs, CPM and an open (?arthrolysis) yet you have failed to improve.
Some more answers to questions are required - was it a TKR following an arthrodesis (fusion of the knee), do you have an underlying neuromuscular disorder, have you consulted your original surgeon to discuss this further.etc...?
Assuming your pain and dysfunction is similar to (or worse) than that before the surgery and no medical comorbidities preclude you from having further surgery then revision knee replacement would be a reasonable option.
Orthopaedic surgeon, Orthopaedist
See all 4 questions about Knee replacement
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- I had a TKR 6 weeks ago. Is it alright to take naproxin?
- I had TKR 10 weeks ago and experience clunking on bending and straightening. Will this improve? My patella was too thin to resurface during surgery.
- How long after a knee replacement before I can drive?
- I would like a guide price for hip replacement, thankyou
- For a very long time now it feels like there are "things" moving in my eyes. My eyes have recently started lacrimating a lot but not all the time. What may be the cause?
- Which is the best orthopaedic surgery for knee replacements?
- what are the risks of prostate biopsy?
- If you have a gall bladder stone do you always have to have gall bladder removal?
- how long does it take to recover from a laminectony C4 /C5/C6?
- how risky is surgical treatment if lumbar spinal stenosis?
Do you have a question about Knee replacement?
Our experts have answered 4 questions about Knee replacement.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.