Question about Cervical spine surgeryProlapsed disc C4 C5 causing arm pain . Will artificial disc replacements completely cure the pain with no future problems ?
A prolapsed disc causing arm pain due to nerve root entrapment "trapped nerve" can be managed through a number of different types of operations on the Cervical Spine with the aim of relieving the pressure on the nerve and thereby giving the best chance of relieving the arm pain. An Anterior Cervical Decompression and Disc Replacement can help relieve pain in the arm in 90 % of patients. It will not help relieve any longstanding or chronic mechanical neck pain. However, there is around a 10-15% chance of developing similar nerve related arm pain over time.This may be due to the development of degenerative changes at the same level where surgery was performed, but more commonly due to nerve root entrapment immediately above or below the level of surgery.
- Thank you2
- 2 experts agree
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- At 21 years of age, I suffer with syndactyly on the first, second and third toes of each foot. I have had an operation performed on one foot, the results of which have not alleviated the daily pain and discomfort of the resulting bone deformation. What can be done to resolve this? Thankyou.
- My daughter has macro-syndactyly and will need a corrective repair. what specialist could do it?
- I have heard of plastic surgery, but not orthoplastic surgery. Can you tell me about this kind of surgery please?
- My friend broke her wrist when she fell. She has something called a Colles fracture. What kind of surgery will she need to repair it?
- My aunt is having shoulder surgery because of a bone spur. What can you tell me about the surgery she will be having?
- I'm a 61-year-old woman, and a month ago I had an arthroscopic acromioplasty of the right shoulder joining the rotator cuff. What rehabilitation exercises can I do at home? I have no strength in the upper part, and my physio told me the muscle isn't working. Thanks
- How much rehabilitation time do you need after acromioplasty surgery?
- After acromioplasty surgery, what care must the patient take, when to start to work?
- I am about to have arthroscopy on my knee. Can you describe this procedure for me using simple words?
- What is the difference between a 3D and a 4D ultrasound? I did not think there was a 4D yet.
Do you have a question about Cervical spine surgery?
Our experts answered the following question about Cervical spine surgery:
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.