Question about Bladder and prostate symptoms and managementwhat are the risks of prostate biopsy?
There will be bleeding in the urine and from the back passage for a few days and blood in the semen for a few weeks.
There may be a reduction in urine flow for a short time due to swelling of the prostate gland.
There is a risk of septicaemia in a small percentage of patients (<5%) which necessitates hospital admission for intravenous antibiotics.
Prostate biopsies are an important tool for diagnosis prostate cancer. With local anaesthetic administration a prostate biopsy should not be painful but can be uncomfortable for some. It's not unusual to notice blood in the urine, stool and semen afterwards. Usually this is slight but in the minority this can be heavy or prolonged. Antibiotics are given to reduce the risk of an infection caused by normal bacterial flora within in the rectum being pushed into the urine or blood stream by the biopsy needle. Despite the antibiotics about 1 in 20 patients will develop a urine infection or septicemia requiring further antibiotics occasionally intravenously. Some men may suffer difficulty passing urine in the first day or two after the biopsy. Rarely this may require the temporary insertion of a catheter to relieve it.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- What does this the Botilinum toxin therapy involve?
- What are the side effects and possible complications of Botox procedures?
- Can you have femural shortening for excessive height?
- What are the risks of having a FTSG?
- Do you really inject botulism into your skin when you get a botox injection?
- I had an operation to correct a lateral deviation in my nose, but the alar of the nose that was lifted to correct the deviation seems to be returning to its original position (it's moving little by little). One doctor told me that the alar couldn't be lifted because it would be left hanging there with no support. What is the solution?
- How useful is temporalis fascia in nose operations? Is it possible to rebuild the alar cartilages with this type of material?
- I had Liposuction two weeks ago when I rise after sitting I have a lot of pain just at the top of my stomach, just under my ribs is this natural or should I be worried?
- Is aesthetic rhinoplasty the same as functional rhinoplasty?
- Is an iliac crest tap a way to heal the chronic iliac pain?
Do you have a question about Bladder and prostate symptoms and management?
Our experts answered the following question about Bladder and prostate symptoms and management:
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.