Question about Spinal disordersBack pain since early 20s then lumbar discitis 2009. Daily moderate pain/stiffness limits any lifting or sitting/standing in one position. Increasingly more prone to acute spasm episodes.Physiotherapy & Naproxen unhelpful. Is there a steroid injection for pain or anything else other than surgery?
All steroid injections (usually combined with Local anaesthetic agents) are palliative, short lasting and should be spaced by few months at least to minimise their side effects.
Physiotherapy should be in the form of active back exercises to strengthen the muscles and reduce the joint stiffness not the passive message.
The Pain Specialist are the appropriate expert to be consulted when surgical treatment has been ruled out by the spinal surgeon.
Medico Legal Expert, Neurosurgeon
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- I have avn in multiple joints, areas within my femur & tibia caused by steriod treatment for leukaemia 19 years ago. Ive had both hips replaced & need major knee surgery soon. After removal of dead bone & joint replacement, can avn come back in remaining healthy bone?
- I have been told today that my Avascular Necrosis, for which I was given an urgent appt with the Consultant is temporary, and will clear itself. This is contrary to everything I have read, can someone please advise me.?
- I have sciatica. It has been getting more painful. Can you please tell me about what treatments work for sciatica?
- My friends 17 year old son has been diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis in September 2016. He is on crutches and receiving pain relief and hydrotherapy. His mother is getting increasingly frustrated and worried that not enough is being done. what next? Any advice gratefully received.
- Is avascular necrosis of the hips the same disease as infarct in the knee?
- Is surgery always necessary for an unemerged tooth, or can you leave it alone?
- A friend's baby was diagnosed with Erb's palsy after a difficult labor and delivery, will he be able to use his arm normally in the future?
- My 10-month-old baby doesn't haveany teeth yet. Is this normal or should I be worried?
- My grandson has a broken his collar bone from a difficult delivery. Is this likely to heal up quickly?
- I have a frozen shoulder and can´t sleep. What can I do for relieving the pain?
Do you have a question about Spinal disorders?
Our experts answered the following question about Spinal disorders:
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.