Question about Spinal disordersBack pain since early 20s then lumbar discitis 2009. Daily moderate pain/stiffness limits any lifting or sitting/standing in one position. Increasingly more prone to acute spasm episodes.Physiotherapy & Naproxen unhelpful. Is there a steroid injection for pain or anything else other than surgery?
All steroid injections (usually combined with Local anaesthetic agents) are palliative, short lasting and should be spaced by few months at least to minimise their side effects.
Physiotherapy should be in the form of active back exercises to strengthen the muscles and reduce the joint stiffness not the passive message.
The Pain Specialist are the appropriate expert to be consulted when surgical treatment has been ruled out by the spinal surgeon.
Medico Legal Expert, Neurosurgeon
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- My uncle has osteoporosis. Now he has osteonecrosis. What does this mean for him?
- i have had an mri spine which showed cervical spine two bulging discs and lunar spine two bulging discs as well as stage 1 facet joint degeneration, I work as a nurse. I continue to have sharp pain and numbness in both arms and legs/calf's what are my options?
- I am a community physiotherapist. Could you please confirm if it is normal for a patient with Ramsey Hunt to loose their swallow (now being PEG fed), have mass shoulder girdle weakness along with loss of thenar eminence and intrinsic hand muscles?
- My husband has been diagnosed with Dupytren's disease. What causes his fingers to curl like that?
- What happens if you do not take care of Bicipital tendinitis?
- Can I practice yoga? I fractured my L2 9 months ago due to a fall and osteoporosis. Thanks
- Are there other methods of correcting metatarsus addicts in a very active year old child than casts ?
- I am 7 weeks post op from knee replacement surgery and my right knee is doing well but my right foot seems to be suffering from some sort of nerve damage. My foot feels dull and stiff. Can you tell me if this is normal and will it get better in time?
- My knee keeps clicking and popping 1 year after surgery. Is this normal?
- How dangerous is NHP?
Do you have a question about Spinal disorders?
Our experts answered the following question about Spinal disorders:
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.