Question about Spinal disordersBack pain since early 20s then lumbar discitis 2009. Daily moderate pain/stiffness limits any lifting or sitting/standing in one position. Increasingly more prone to acute spasm episodes.Physiotherapy & Naproxen unhelpful. Is there a steroid injection for pain or anything else other than surgery?
All steroid injections (usually combined with Local anaesthetic agents) are palliative, short lasting and should be spaced by few months at least to minimise their side effects.
Physiotherapy should be in the form of active back exercises to strengthen the muscles and reduce the joint stiffness not the passive message.
The Pain Specialist are the appropriate expert to be consulted when surgical treatment has been ruled out by the spinal surgeon.
Medico Legal Expert, Neurosurgeon
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth runs in my family. Most doctors do not know much about it. Where do you think I can get the best help for my son and me?
- Can a baby receive an artificial intestine?
- My nerologist assest me for CMT but stated i did not have it due to normal nerve conduction test however i have recantly read that sme types have a normal test. Could i still have CMT i have muscle loss on my lower legs and feet with both feet teiste with high arches?
- Hi, I suffer from a herniated intervertebral disk (L4, L5, and S1). My neurosurgeon tells me it’s time to operate. He wants to fix the three vertebrae. I don’t know the exact name of the procedure. My question is, is it time for me to go into surgery? Is that the best solution? And above all, will I come out well? Thanks
- Is the heat or the cold good for a hernia?
- How long recovery period for both side groin hernias?
- I have costochondritis for over 20 years now and its so unbearable now I feel like this is going to be how I live the rest of my life. It gets me so down I cant bear it anymore. Ive tried a lot of meds over the years but to be honest cant take them for lengths of times due to nausea. Im desperate, can you advise me. Thank you.
- What are the benefits from acupuncture over a herniated intervertebral disk?
- I had decompression surgery last Sept. and now suffer even more back pain than before it. Could you tell me why my back ceases up and causes excrutiating pain and electric shocks after standing, sitting, walking or laying down each for only a few minutes. The pain is delayed and comes on afterwards.
- My son's bottom teeth are crooked because his jaw is not big enough for all his teeth. He does not want to do anything about this. He is 14. Can he end up with problems in the future?
Do you have a question about Spinal disorders?
Our experts answered the following question about Spinal disorders:
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.