Question about Spinal disordersBack pain since early 20s then lumbar discitis 2009. Daily moderate pain/stiffness limits any lifting or sitting/standing in one position. Increasingly more prone to acute spasm episodes.Physiotherapy & Naproxen unhelpful. Is there a steroid injection for pain or anything else other than surgery?
All steroid injections (usually combined with Local anaesthetic agents) are palliative, short lasting and should be spaced by few months at least to minimise their side effects.
Physiotherapy should be in the form of active back exercises to strengthen the muscles and reduce the joint stiffness not the passive message.
The Pain Specialist are the appropriate expert to be consulted when surgical treatment has been ruled out by the spinal surgeon.
Medico Legal Expert, Neurosurgeon
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- Is there a recognised specialist in Brachial Plexus nerve injuries in the UK?. My Mother had a fall resulting in a dislocation and damaged nerves in the left shoulder. She has little movement in her shoulder and only slight movement in thumb and forefinger. Lives in Birmingham but can travel
- I have been diagnosed with tos...but have no concrete hard evidence...is an ultasound the way to go?
- Expected/average recovery time following TOS operation?
- I have a 5cm myoma. I have had a contraceptive coil for 6 years, I am 56 years old and I continue to have periods. I have gained weight and have mood swings. I would like to know if there is an alternative and less invasive treatment than hormone therapy? Thank you.
- Are myomas dangerous?
- does a mri scan of the brain (not mra ) show compression either of the Glossopharyngeal nerve and trigeminal nerves ? or the radiologist would have to go and look for compression?
- Is it normal to have a delayed period after a myoma operation?
- My father has glossopharyngel neuralgia and is currently on medication. The episodes have become worse of late. Is acupuncture an option?
- Almost a month ago I underwent an open Abdominal Myomectomy. Suddenly I started experiencing a strong pain on my lower right hand side (it would appear to be the ovary) and signs like those at the beginning of my menstrual cycle started to appear. Is this Ok? Is this normal?
- My husband has been diagnosed with Dupytren's disease. What causes his fingers to curl like that?
Do you have a question about Spinal disorders?
Our experts answered the following question about Spinal disorders:
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.