Question about Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH)How dangerous is NHP?
NPH is not common. It is a diagnosis sometimes suggested inappropriately an CT or MRI brain reports when it is in fact a clinical diagnosis which can be strengthened or weakened by brain scans. There is a range of opinion on optimal investigation e.g lumbar puncture as therapeutic trial OR CSF pressure studies OR inster ventricular shunt as therapeutic trial. These investigations and treatments bring risk. Untrea5ted NPH risks avoidable impairment of gait, memory and continence.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- My 11 year old son has been diagnosed with a golf ball sized brain tumor in the occipital lobe-after having seizures. The Neurosurgeon would like wants to take a wait and see approach, believing it is a slow growing noncancerous tumor. We know nothing and aren't even sure what questions to ask. What aree the main risks?
- I am contacting your good selves due to my mother being diagnosed with tension headaches, a year ago. The treatment consists of painkillers and a prophylactic drug at bedtime, but the fact is that the pains are getting stronger and more frequent and she isn't given any other solution. Is there anything that can be done?
- what is neurosarcoidosis?
- Have not seen my menstrual period for over 6 month now. I have an history of hyper prolactenemia. What could be the course and solution to my problem. Am just 32 yrs and about to get married.??
- I'm asking you this since my mother was diagnosed with tension-induced headaches, a year ago, the treatment consists of painkillers and a profilactic before going to bed. The issue is that the pains are becoming more intense and more frequent and they haven't given any solutions. Is there anything she can do?
- My husband of 72 has had parkinsons for about 12 years. He now suddenly cannot walk. All this has happened within about 2 weeks. Can you suggest a way forward please?
- I have had headache for 5 weeks and have double vision and being sick, it is doing my head in - what can i do about it?
- What are the symptoms of spondylolisthesis? I have back pain and numbness in my leg.
- For severe sleep apnea is it best to have an operation or to use a mask for sleeping? Is the operation complicated and uncomfortable? Am I right in understanding there are no guaranteed results? Many thanks
- A friend's baby was diagnosed with Erb's palsy after a difficult labor and delivery, will he be able to use his arm normally in the future?
Do you have a question about Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH)?
Our experts answered the following question about Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH):
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.