Question about Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH)How dangerous is NHP?
NPH is not common. It is a diagnosis sometimes suggested inappropriately an CT or MRI brain reports when it is in fact a clinical diagnosis which can be strengthened or weakened by brain scans. There is a range of opinion on optimal investigation e.g lumbar puncture as therapeutic trial OR CSF pressure studies OR inster ventricular shunt as therapeutic trial. These investigations and treatments bring risk. Untrea5ted NPH risks avoidable impairment of gait, memory and continence.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- Is there a cure for Trigeminal Neuralgia?
- Is there a recognised specialist in Brachial Plexus nerve injuries in the UK?. My Mother had a fall resulting in a dislocation and damaged nerves in the left shoulder. She has little movement in her shoulder and only slight movement in thumb and forefinger. Lives in Birmingham but can travel
- I'm asking you this since my mother was diagnosed with tension-induced headaches, a year ago, the treatment consists of painkillers and a profilactic before going to bed. The issue is that the pains are becoming more intense and more frequent and they haven't given any solutions. Is there anything she can do?
- I have been getting migraine headaches. I had a CT scan and the doctor said that I have a mucous retention cyst. Can this kind of cyst cause migraines?
- Having had tinnitus for over 30 years I have had regular hearing tests which I have been satisfactory. I have never had any type of test or procedure to try and identify the cause. What type of consultant should I contact regarding tinnitus? Bernard Dundon
- I;ve been feeling out of balance from time to time; blood pressure fairly normal..no other symptoms except tiredness. What could this be due to?
- What is the treatment for a mucous retention cyst? Is it painful?
- I am a community physiotherapist. Could you please confirm if it is normal for a patient with Ramsey Hunt to loose their swallow (now being PEG fed), have mass shoulder girdle weakness along with loss of thenar eminence and intrinsic hand muscles?
- Please explain to me in layman’s terms what mild epileptic activity consists of. What are the symptoms and risks? How does it affect someone’s behaviour and how does it influence their life?
- Can I practice yoga? I fractured my L2 9 months ago due to a fall and osteoporosis. Thanks
Do you have a question about Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH)?
Our experts answered the following question about Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH):
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.