Question about Heart diseaseI had operation nearly 3 years ago for rheumatic heart and needed my two valves and I was told that I would probably need a pacemaker in around 10 years, is this true, if so will my health decline badly before I can have the pacemaker fitted?
Unless there is something specific about your case there is no reason to suppose you will need a pacemaker just because you have rheumatic heart disease. Some patients with RHD develop atrial fibrillation and that can slow up needing a pacemaker but the symptoms are usually dizziness or blacking out and unless you have those symptoms you are unlikely to need a pacemaker. Your health generally would not be affected apart from those symptoms.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- How can one increase their metabolism?
- What is Morbid Obesity?
- Is having a double aortic arch hereditary?
- I was diagnosed with gastroparesis at UCH about 5 years and have had 15 laparotomies but with no long term advantage. I vomit daily varying from 2-15 times and my recent specialist has said "we can do nothing for you now" i am at a all time low feeling, is there a solution?
- I am 29 years old and this is my third episode of pericarditis. Each one has been worse than the previous. During the last episode there was greater pericardial effusion (moderate) and even a quite considerable right pleural effusion. Is it dangerous to carry out normal activity?
- Ive been diagnosed with billowing mitral valve after being sent to hospital due to chest pain, shortness of breath and constant fatigue. I had the echo ultra sound and day hospital where they put dye into your heart. my discharge letter says MV to be checked every 3-5 years. Should I be worried?
- My mother has been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillaton, shes been put on bisoprolol. Then after a week she had a stroke. Shes now on rivaroxaban 20mg. Shes still having palpitations and waiting to see a cardiologist. Is she in risk of having another stroke?
- What is the best medication for atrial fibrillations?
- I am suffering of isolated ventricular echtopic beats, are they dangerous? I did the ecg holter 48hrs and i had 206 ectopic beats. Any advises? Thank you very much
- Please can you let me know who specializes in prinzmetal angina?
Do you have a question about Heart disease?
Our experts answered the following question about Heart disease:
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.