Question about Hammer toeHow long do I have to wait to start walking again after hammertoe surgery?
if you are undergoing hammertoe correction only you will be able to walk immediately after surgery and generally only require a flat postoperative shoe- which straps on and looks like a sandal. It is however important to keep the operated foot elevated for most of the day during the first two weeks after surgery. This is to limit swelling which can be painful and potentially compromise wound healing.
Less severe hammer toes can be corrected with soft tissue corrections alone in which case no implants are used. You would generally transition into normal (flat shoes) between 4 and 6 weeks after surgery. More severe hammer toes require bony corrections and implants are frequently used to hold the bones in place while they heal in the correct position. The majority of the time thin wires are used which stick out the ends of the toes and are removed in clinic at 4- 6 weeks. Once the wires are out you can get back to regular shoes.
Good luck with you upcoming surgery.
Orthopaedic surgeon, Orthopaedist
See all 5 questions about Hammer toe
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- I have bunions in both feet and now the second toes are crossing over the big toes, would i require an operation?
- How long does it take to be able to walk after hammer toe surgery?
- Is a hammer toe operation complicated?
- A month ago I had an operation on the toes of my left foot. Since coming round from the operation until today my toes have been clenched. Is this normal? Will they stretch out with time or will I need another operation?
- I have Pes Cavus. I have been told that I should not wear heels. Why?
- Is avascular necrosis of the hips the same disease as infarct in the knee?
- My friends 17 year old son has been diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis in September 2016. He is on crutches and receiving pain relief and hydrotherapy. His mother is getting increasingly frustrated and worried that not enough is being done. what next? Any advice gratefully received.
- What kind of activites cause tennis elbow?
- Who is the best specialist to treat Pes Cavus?
- Can pes cavus surgical correction be done on the both feet at the same time?
Do you have a question about Hammer toe?
Our experts have answered 5 questions about Hammer toe.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.