Question about EczemaMy mother has very bad weepy eczema on her left leg and it is not healing. She also suffers from lymphatic filariasis on both her legs. She has had courses of antibiotics but its has not helped much. She washes her eczema with potassium permanganate to prevent secondary infection. what more should she do?
She needs a steroid cream or it won't improve.
Thank you. I am very sorry to hear about your mother. Eczema can be very distressing. Potassium permanganate is good to reduce risk of infection but does not treat eczema. Your mother needs lots of moisturisers e.g. emulsifying ointment frequently or if it is very weepy balneum plus cream (she ca keep it in fridge so it is chilled and helps itch instantly). This may not be enough however and she may need a strong steroid cream or ointment prescribed by her GP or Dermatologist.
I hope this is helpful. Do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions.
With very best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP CCT(Derm) PhD FRSM FAAD
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
See all 2 questions about Eczema
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- What is the difference between eczema and dry skin?
- Hello, I have found warts around my anal area. I have suspicion of Condolyma. Im 33 yeras old male from EU currently working in UK. I have not been registered with any doctor yet. I am looking for an advice or anyone to help me out with this issue? Id appreciate it. Thanks.
- My 10-month-old baby doesn't haveany teeth yet. Is this normal or should I be worried?
- Is surgery always necessary for an unemerged tooth, or can you leave it alone?
- My baby has sores in his mouth and won't eat. He does not have a fever. Should I take him to the doctor or will this go away on its own?
- My grandson has a broken his collar bone from a difficult delivery. Is this likely to heal up quickly?
- I had a brown spot on my arm that stayed the same for almost a year. Then suddenly it began to peel. My doctor did a skin biopsy. How is melanoma diagnosed?
- I'd like to know I don't have any melanomas,but I can't check everywhere, like my back for instance. What's the best way to check for melanoma?
- I had a small 0.2 thick melanoma removed and got the borders extended. Doctors say that there is no need to do anything else but my question is, does a melanoma reappear? How do I know that the rest of my moles are normal?
- My daughter started snoring and i am not sure if it's because of sickness. We've been to the doctor and she is healthy. The doctor said it can be some kind of compulsive actions from her. Sould we go to a therapist?
Do you have a question about Eczema?
Our experts have answered 2 questions about Eczema.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.