Question about EczemaMy mother has very bad weepy eczema on her left leg and it is not healing. She also suffers from lymphatic filariasis on both her legs. She has had courses of antibiotics but its has not helped much. She washes her eczema with potassium permanganate to prevent secondary infection. what more should she do?
She needs a steroid cream or it won't improve.
Thank you. I am very sorry to hear about your mother. Eczema can be very distressing. Potassium permanganate is good to reduce risk of infection but does not treat eczema. Your mother needs lots of moisturisers e.g. emulsifying ointment frequently or if it is very weepy balneum plus cream (she ca keep it in fridge so it is chilled and helps itch instantly). This may not be enough however and she may need a strong steroid cream or ointment prescribed by her GP or Dermatologist.
I hope this is helpful. Do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions.
With very best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP CCT(Derm) PhD FRSM FAAD
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
See all 2 questions about Eczema
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- What is the difference between eczema and dry skin?
- I have lichen planus on my hands and in my mouth. In the past couple of days my hands have split in the creases and are unbearably sore, also my mouth has become very sore as well. Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain?
- How can be removed groin fungi?
- What is Rhinitis and does it affect breathing during sleep?
- I have been diagnosed with non allergic rhinitis and have been tested for dust, pollen, pets etc all came back negative. Still not cleared up after 2 years of steroid sprays and antihistamines. Could any other allergy be causing these symptoms?
- How long does it take to cure a genital herpes? Is it more than 1-2weeks?
- I found out that I have a mucous cyst. What kind of treatment should I get?
- What specialist should I consult for Athlete's Foot?
- I understand that chewing or sucking the lips or cheeks can lead to mucous cysts. Can thumb sucking cause them too?
- my 5 months old son has mastocytoma on his back what is the treatment for it?
Do you have a question about Eczema?
Our experts have answered 2 questions about Eczema.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.