Question about EczemaMy mother has very bad weepy eczema on her left leg and it is not healing. She also suffers from lymphatic filariasis on both her legs. She has had courses of antibiotics but its has not helped much. She washes her eczema with potassium permanganate to prevent secondary infection. what more should she do?
Thank you. I am very sorry to hear about your mother. Eczema can be very distressing. Potassium permanganate is good to reduce risk of infection but does not treat eczema. Your mother needs lots of moisturisers e.g. emulsifying ointment frequently or if it is very weepy balneum plus cream (she ca keep it in fridge so it is chilled and helps itch instantly). This may not be enough however and she may need a strong steroid cream or ointment prescribed by her GP or Dermatologist.
I hope this is helpful. Do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions.
With very best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP CCT(Derm) PhD FRSM FAAD
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
She needs a steroid cream or it won't improve.
See all 2 questions about Eczema
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- What is the difference between eczema and dry skin?
- My daughter is daydreaming always, it never meant any problem but recently she doesnt hear when we talk to hear, one time she bumped into a door because she didnt see it, she was so inmersed in her thoughts. Should i be afraid or just let her outgrow it?
- I have lichen planus on my hands and in my mouth. In the past couple of days my hands have split in the creases and are unbearably sore, also my mouth has become very sore as well. Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain?
- Can you come out of anemia through methods other than iron-rich diet?
- My daughter is only ten years old and already has black heads on her nose.This seems very young to me or is it normal? I've bought her a gentle facial wash and a facial brush to try and keep the area clean. I don't know what else i can do.Thanks
- My son (10yo) suffers from frequent ear infections with perforation/discharge, always in the same ear (never the other). Nobody can tell us why. Could there be an anatomical reason for this? A 'kink' or blockage in his Eustachian tube? Are there any tests that could give us the answer?
- Are there other methods of correcting metatarsus addicts in a very active year old child than casts ?
- I get eczema craquele every winter. I cannot stop turning on the heat and I already use lotion. What else can I do to protect my skin?
- I am embarrassed about my liver spots. Is there any safe way to get rid of them?
- my 5 months old son has mastocytoma on his back what is the treatment for it?
Do you have a question about Eczema?
Our experts have answered 2 questions about Eczema.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.