Question about EczemaMy mother has very bad weepy eczema on her left leg and it is not healing. She also suffers from lymphatic filariasis on both her legs. She has had courses of antibiotics but its has not helped much. She washes her eczema with potassium permanganate to prevent secondary infection. what more should she do?
Thank you. I am very sorry to hear about your mother. Eczema can be very distressing. Potassium permanganate is good to reduce risk of infection but does not treat eczema. Your mother needs lots of moisturisers e.g. emulsifying ointment frequently or if it is very weepy balneum plus cream (she ca keep it in fridge so it is chilled and helps itch instantly). This may not be enough however and she may need a strong steroid cream or ointment prescribed by her GP or Dermatologist.
I hope this is helpful. Do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions.
With very best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP CCT(Derm) PhD FRSM FAAD
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
She needs a steroid cream or it won't improve.
See all 2 questions about Eczema
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- What is the difference between eczema and dry skin?
- What can I take for the hayfever if I am breastfeeding?
- Until December they are not giving me allergy tests and they have told me to try to not take anything until I have them. I have spent the whole night sneezing and with rinitis and itchy eyes and I am feeling bad. I have a family history with an allergy to fungi. What would you advise me in order to relieve the symptoms?
- My son 17 years old started to have asthma episodes very frequently, I went to pneumologist and he is taking lots of medicine. I feel very sad about this because I think there should be a different way, everyday taking pills and bronqueolitic and so on!! I need your advice?
- Can asthma start in adults?
- Does asthma cure itself with homeopathy?
- If a stool sample and a blood test have a negative result, but the symptoms still persist, are there any other tests to confirm schistosomiasis?
- How long does chickenpox last and how long will it take for the red bumps to disappear?
- What is the treatment for a Tapeworm?
- 4 year old had 4 ear infections in both ears last 3 months. Had 4 courses of Amoxicillin during this time. Her ears have been sore and itchy, but no high temperature at all. Finished 4th course of Amoxicillin last week. Ears are not sore but itchy now, still tugging at them. Any advice please thanks
Do you have a question about Eczema?
Our experts have answered 2 questions about Eczema.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.