Question about EczemaMy mother has very bad weepy eczema on her left leg and it is not healing. She also suffers from lymphatic filariasis on both her legs. She has had courses of antibiotics but its has not helped much. She washes her eczema with potassium permanganate to prevent secondary infection. what more should she do?
Thank you. I am very sorry to hear about your mother. Eczema can be very distressing. Potassium permanganate is good to reduce risk of infection but does not treat eczema. Your mother needs lots of moisturisers e.g. emulsifying ointment frequently or if it is very weepy balneum plus cream (she ca keep it in fridge so it is chilled and helps itch instantly). This may not be enough however and she may need a strong steroid cream or ointment prescribed by her GP or Dermatologist.
I hope this is helpful. Do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions.
With very best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP CCT(Derm) PhD FRSM FAAD
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
See all 2 questions about Eczema
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- What is the difference between eczema and dry skin?
- chiari 1 always produce obstruction of the lcr at the magnum cistern? the patient has no symptons . Which is the treatment or decision about it?
- While I was pregnant my gums sometimes bled when I brushed them. Is this normal?
- My baby's scalp is getting flakey. Now the flake skin is turning yellowish. I have heard about cradle cap. What can I do to make his skin better?
- What is the best age for correcting mandibular prognathism?
- My daughter is 9 and from time to time has really painful sores on her labia. The pediatrician isn't really sure what it is and has prescibed fucidin cream which seems to do the trick. The sores start as blisters and then burst which is then really, painful. Could this be erythrasma?
- I brush my teeth but I do not floss very often. Could I get gum disease just because I am not flossing?
- Can children get gingivitis?
- My daughter has slight mandibular prognathism. She is only 9 and the orthodontist has said it will get worse, but has not given her braces or anything. He says it's better to wait until she's finished growing and then have one single operation to move the lower jaw back. Does that sound right?
- How long does chickenpox last and how long will it take for the red bumps to disappear?
Do you have a question about Eczema?
Our experts have answered 2 questions about Eczema.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.