Question about Diabetestwo metformin tablets a day give me diarrohhea. is there a substitute medication ?
A common problem. Metformin causes gastrointestinal upset in about 1:10 patients, but it is such a good treatment for diabetes it is often worth persevering with it. The prescriber might want to try no metformin for a week or two, to see if the symptoms get better, it is important to establish cause and effect. If they do get better one would very often recommend retrying metformin but starting at a low dose, 1/2 a tablet a day (250mg - the pharmacy can provide pill cutters, the cut does not need to be perfect) for a week, gradually increasing, weekly, to your prescribed dose. One can go slower if the sugars will allow it. If the body really cannot tolerative metformin the prescriber might suggest slow release metformin. For every 10 people who cannot tolerate normal metformin, by and large only 1 will not tolerate slow release metformin.
Try not to forget that increasing exercise, losing weight and attending to ones diet might all reduce the need for metformin.
See all 2 questions about Diabetes
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- What is the difference between diabetes types?
- I heard that both the width and dimension of the anus after hermorrhoids surgery is much smaller than before. Is that true?
- Does Labolife work against HPV? This appears a herbal remedy...
- I have a small wart on my outer lips but I do not have an appointment to see a gynecologist for more than a month. During this month is there a risk that the wart will increase in size or that complications could develop? Can I continue to have sexual intercourse with my partner? I have always used condoms but this has still happened.
- I have warts between my anus and vagina - Could this be HPV? What else could it be?
- How can be removed groin fungi?
- If I have come out in genital warts, does this also mean I have HPV?
- How long does hemorrhoids surgery take? Will I feel any incomfort during the operation?
- I suspect that I have suffered with PMDD for a long time and am now going through the menopause. i am having significant problems with depression and would like some advise on the best way to deal with this please?
- Do u need throat swab to diagnosis scarlet fever or is physical assessment enough?
Do you have a question about Diabetes?
Our experts have answered 2 questions about Diabetes.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.