Question about DepressionHow should one deal with depressed people?
Be there for them even if they try to push you away.
Encourage them to focus their attention outwards and reengage in pleasurable activities.
Get them out of the house or doing some form of exercise which may also improve sleep.
Stop them from sleeping too much (excessive REM/ dreaming can exacerbate depression)
Mental Health Specialist, Psychotherapist
See all 5 questions about Depression
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- Can a person with a greater tendency to depression have a stable relationship with a partner?
- How does depression start?
- During depression and experiencing auditory hallucinations, can command hallucinations cause the sufferer to lose self control and do things totally out of character ; even immoral or illegal things?
- Does depression necessarily need to be treated with antidepressants?
- My daughter is daydreaming always, it never meant any problem but recently she doesnt hear when we talk to hear, one time she bumped into a door because she didnt see it, she was so inmersed in her thoughts. Should i be afraid or just let her outgrow it?
- My boyfriend has Aspergers syndrome. What difficulties should I expect to face during our lives - behaviour, relationships?
- Is schizophrenia curable?
- I suspect that I have suffered with PMDD for a long time and am now going through the menopause. i am having significant problems with depression and would like some advise on the best way to deal with this please?
- Can Asperger's syndrome be confused with OCD?
- What is the difference between psychosis and schizophrenia?
Do you have a question about Depression?
Our experts have answered 5 questions about Depression.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.