Question about DepressionHow should one deal with depressed people?
Be there for them even if they try to push you away.
Encourage them to focus their attention outwards and reengage in pleasurable activities.
Get them out of the house or doing some form of exercise which may also improve sleep.
Stop them from sleeping too much (excessive REM/ dreaming can exacerbate depression)
Mental Health Specialist, Psychotherapist
See all 5 questions about Depression
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- How does depression start?
- Can a person with a greater tendency to depression have a stable relationship with a partner?
- Does depression necessarily need to be treated with antidepressants?
- During depression and experiencing auditory hallucinations, can command hallucinations cause the sufferer to lose self control and do things totally out of character ; even immoral or illegal things?
- I am tired all the time, although i do get a good night's sleep. I have lost 2 stone in weight over the past year. I have stomach ache and feel nauseous, All the blood tests, scan and full internal examinations show no problem But, I am not well. What should I do? Thanks.
- A good friend of mine has been diagnosed with PTSD. She has vivid dreams of her biggest fears most nights. what help is there for this?
- I had anorexia, "I cured myself" and now I am a compulsive eater….what should i do?
- My daughter is daydreaming always, it never meant any problem but recently she doesnt hear when we talk to hear, one time she bumped into a door because she didnt see it, she was so inmersed in her thoughts. Should i be afraid or just let her outgrow it?
- What are the symptoms of anorexia?
- I've had anorexia for almost 5 years because it is always relapses, but I feel that I want be done for good. What is the best way for starting off recovery? For not feeling guilt even for a bite.
Do you have a question about Depression?
Our experts have answered 5 questions about Depression.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.