Question about DementiaWhat are the first signs of Dementia?
This depends upon the type of dementia. Most lay people think that memory loss is the main symptom of dementia but we all struggle a little with memory which naturally worsens with age and with stress. People with dementia have much more wrong with them than memory loss. For example getting lost in familiar places is worrying for Alzheimer's disease, whereas visual hallucinations and sleep disturbance suggest Lewy Body disease. Dementia is a group of different diseases (like temperature or skin rash) for which there are many symptoms and diagnoses.
See all 3 questions about Dementia
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- What is the difference between schizophrenia and dementia praecox?
- Is Alzheimer's the same as senile dementia?
- Is there a cure for Trigeminal Neuralgia?
- I am contacting your good selves due to my mother being diagnosed with tension headaches, a year ago. The treatment consists of painkillers and a prophylactic drug at bedtime, but the fact is that the pains are getting stronger and more frequent and she isn't given any other solution. Is there anything that can be done?
- My daughter is daydreaming always, it never meant any problem but recently she doesnt hear when we talk to hear, one time she bumped into a door because she didnt see it, she was so inmersed in her thoughts. Should i be afraid or just let her outgrow it?
- Having had tinnitus for over 30 years I have had regular hearing tests which I have been satisfactory. I have never had any type of test or procedure to try and identify the cause. What type of consultant should I contact regarding tinnitus? Bernard Dundon
- I have been getting migraine headaches. I had a CT scan and the doctor said that I have a mucous retention cyst. Can this kind of cyst cause migraines?
- What is the treatment for a mucous retention cyst? Is it painful?
- Please explain to me in layman’s terms what mild epileptic activity consists of. What are the symptoms and risks? How does it affect someone’s behaviour and how does it influence their life?
- I am a community physiotherapist. Could you please confirm if it is normal for a patient with Ramsey Hunt to loose their swallow (now being PEG fed), have mass shoulder girdle weakness along with loss of thenar eminence and intrinsic hand muscles?
Do you have a question about Dementia?
Our experts have answered 3 questions about Dementia.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.