Question about DementiaIs Alzheimer's the same as senile dementia?
No. Alzheimer's is one of the commonest dementias, for which risk increases with age. I do not think "senile dementia" is a helpful term. There are many other causes of dementia which are commoner in older people. The clinical features of the dementia are more important than the age of the patient; having said that, the older the patient is at the onset of dementia the less likely it is to run in the family.
See all 3 questions about Dementia
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- What is the difference between schizophrenia and dementia praecox?
- What are the first signs of Dementia?
- What are the patellofermoral disorders?
- Is there a recognised specialist in Brachial Plexus nerve injuries in the UK?. My Mother had a fall resulting in a dislocation and damaged nerves in the left shoulder. She has little movement in her shoulder and only slight movement in thumb and forefinger. Lives in Birmingham but can travel
- Back pain since early 20s then lumbar discitis 2009. Daily moderate pain/stiffness limits any lifting or sitting/standing in one position. Increasingly more prone to acute spasm episodes.Physiotherapy & Naproxen unhelpful. Is there a steroid injection for pain or anything else other than surgery?
- My uncle has osteoporosis. Now he has osteonecrosis. What does this mean for him?
- Expected/average recovery time following TOS operation?
- I have been diagnosed with tos...but have no concrete hard evidence...is an ultasound the way to go?
- Can I practice yoga? I fractured my L2 9 months ago due to a fall and osteoporosis. Thanks
- What causes TMD? Is it hereditary?
Do you have a question about Dementia?
Our experts have answered 3 questions about Dementia.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.