Question about Cushings diseaseHow many tests are usually needed to confirm Cushing's disease in a female and approximately how long does it take to get a result from the 24 hour urine test? I'm feeling very poorly with flushing in head, high temperatures, bad one-sided headaches & much more but am lost in NHS system. Thank you.
One needs a clinical suspicion of Cushing's syndrome and the 24h urine test can support this with evidence of high cortisol levels.
Then it needs evidence of elevated, somewhat autonomous, cortisol levels and a reliable way to do that is with a dexamethasone suppression test, which takes 2 days.
If that test shows cortisol that fails to suppress after the dexamathasone, then one must measure cortisol and ACTH (at 9am). The ACTH is quite difficult to sample and measure, it usually takes a week or two from when it is taken. If the cortisol is high with detectable/ high ACTH then one must go on to look where the ACTH is from. This usually requires sampling from the blood veins that drain the pituitary; it is a very specialised test and can take weeks to set up in one of the centres that do it, often needing a repeat evaluation before performing it +/- CT chest and MRI pituitary.
Cushing's disease can be very difficult to diagnose.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- Having meningococcal this new year, my hearing has been affected severely I now require hearing aids, is this a neurological deficit?
- I heard that both the width and dimension of the anus after hermorrhoids surgery is much smaller than before. Is that true?
- How long does hemorrhoids surgery take? Will I feel any incomfort during the operation?
- I have lichen planus on my hands and in my mouth. In the past couple of days my hands have split in the creases and are unbearably sore, also my mouth has become very sore as well. Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain?
- What is Rhinitis and does it affect breathing during sleep?
- I have been diagnosed with non allergic rhinitis and have been tested for dust, pollen, pets etc all came back negative. Still not cleared up after 2 years of steroid sprays and antihistamines. Could any other allergy be causing these symptoms?
- i have had an mri spine which showed cervical spine two bulging discs and lunar spine two bulging discs as well as stage 1 facet joint degeneration, I work as a nurse. I continue to have sharp pain and numbness in both arms and legs/calf's what are my options?
- Do u need throat swab to diagnosis scarlet fever or is physical assessment enough?
- When does having recurrent candidiasis affect fertility? What consequences can this disease have and does it have a cure?
- Who's the specialist that treats lymphedema?
Do you have a question about Cushings disease?
Our experts answered the following question about Cushings disease:
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.