Question about Cushings diseaseHow many tests are usually needed to confirm Cushing's disease in a female and approximately how long does it take to get a result from the 24 hour urine test? I'm feeling very poorly with flushing in head, high temperatures, bad one-sided headaches & much more but am lost in NHS system. Thank you.
One needs a clinical suspicion of Cushing's syndrome and the 24h urine test can support this with evidence of high cortisol levels.
Then it needs evidence of elevated, somewhat autonomous, cortisol levels and a reliable way to do that is with a dexamethasone suppression test, which takes 2 days.
If that test shows cortisol that fails to suppress after the dexamathasone, then one must measure cortisol and ACTH (at 9am). The ACTH is quite difficult to sample and measure, it usually takes a week or two from when it is taken. If the cortisol is high with detectable/ high ACTH then one must go on to look where the ACTH is from. This usually requires sampling from the blood veins that drain the pituitary; it is a very specialised test and can take weeks to set up in one of the centres that do it, often needing a repeat evaluation before performing it +/- CT chest and MRI pituitary.
Cushing's disease can be very difficult to diagnose.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- What can I take for the hayfever if I am breastfeeding?
- Until December they are not giving me allergy tests and they have told me to try to not take anything until I have them. I have spent the whole night sneezing and with rinitis and itchy eyes and I am feeling bad. I have a family history with an allergy to fungi. What would you advise me in order to relieve the symptoms?
- what is neurosarcoidosis?
- i have thyroid / grave disease. i have been on medication for one year now but my eye balls are still borging out, what should i do?
- I was diagnosed with mild gastritis, oesophagitus and small h.hernia, I am also having op to have remaining part of thyroid & goitre removed, tsh level is ok. I feel so weak some days and have terrible pain in stomach and back and extreme shortness of breath, what can this be due to?
- I have chronic epididymitis what can i do to cure it?
- I have been getting red patches on my tongue. They last for a while and then go away. Could I have benign migratory glossitis?
- Pulsatile tinntus has any relation with menopause?
- What are the symptoms for hypertension?
- Hi, for a month now I have lost my sex drive and have been in my menopause for 4 years, with hot flushes and no menstruation. The lack of sex drive is due to menopause? What should I do for recovering it?
Do you have a question about Cushings disease?
Our experts answered the following question about Cushings disease:
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.