Question about Cushings diseaseHow many tests are usually needed to confirm Cushing's disease in a female and approximately how long does it take to get a result from the 24 hour urine test? I'm feeling very poorly with flushing in head, high temperatures, bad one-sided headaches & much more but am lost in NHS system. Thank you.
One needs a clinical suspicion of Cushing's syndrome and the 24h urine test can support this with evidence of high cortisol levels.
Then it needs evidence of elevated, somewhat autonomous, cortisol levels and a reliable way to do that is with a dexamethasone suppression test, which takes 2 days.
If that test shows cortisol that fails to suppress after the dexamathasone, then one must measure cortisol and ACTH (at 9am). The ACTH is quite difficult to sample and measure, it usually takes a week or two from when it is taken. If the cortisol is high with detectable/ high ACTH then one must go on to look where the ACTH is from. This usually requires sampling from the blood veins that drain the pituitary; it is a very specialised test and can take weeks to set up in one of the centres that do it, often needing a repeat evaluation before performing it +/- CT chest and MRI pituitary.
Cushing's disease can be very difficult to diagnose.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- Is there a cure for Trigeminal Neuralgia?
- Having meningococcal this new year, my hearing has been affected severely I now require hearing aids, is this a neurological deficit?
- I was diagnosed with gastroparesis at UCH about 5 years and have had 15 laparotomies but with no long term advantage. I vomit daily varying from 2-15 times and my recent specialist has said "we can do nothing for you now" i am at a all time low feeling, is there a solution?
- I was diagnosed with FB a year ago. It runs from the temporal bone to the maxilla. Since October 14 I have been prescribed Biophosponates which has helped with the pain but not the periodic swelling which appears to be anxiety related. I think it has moved into my sinus region, is this possible?
- I've had glossitis for 3 days now but i do not smoke or drink, and haven't got any kind of allergy. What else can cause it?
- What is glossitis?
- What treatment is there for glossitis?
- Do u need throat swab to diagnosis scarlet fever or is physical assessment enough?
- i have had an mri spine which showed cervical spine two bulging discs and lunar spine two bulging discs as well as stage 1 facet joint degeneration, I work as a nurse. I continue to have sharp pain and numbness in both arms and legs/calf's what are my options?
- I had SJS dec 2013. I would like to ask, how long is the recovery process for scars? What can I do to speed the process of getting rid of them or at least the best product to lighten them on face and body? How long does it take for toe nails to grow back? Will I ever be able to take medications?
Do you have a question about Cushings disease?
Our experts answered the following question about Cushings disease:
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.