Question about Cushings diseaseHow many tests are usually needed to confirm Cushing's disease in a female and approximately how long does it take to get a result from the 24 hour urine test? I'm feeling very poorly with flushing in head, high temperatures, bad one-sided headaches & much more but am lost in NHS system. Thank you.
One needs a clinical suspicion of Cushing's syndrome and the 24h urine test can support this with evidence of high cortisol levels.
Then it needs evidence of elevated, somewhat autonomous, cortisol levels and a reliable way to do that is with a dexamethasone suppression test, which takes 2 days.
If that test shows cortisol that fails to suppress after the dexamathasone, then one must measure cortisol and ACTH (at 9am). The ACTH is quite difficult to sample and measure, it usually takes a week or two from when it is taken. If the cortisol is high with detectable/ high ACTH then one must go on to look where the ACTH is from. This usually requires sampling from the blood veins that drain the pituitary; it is a very specialised test and can take weeks to set up in one of the centres that do it, often needing a repeat evaluation before performing it +/- CT chest and MRI pituitary.
Cushing's disease can be very difficult to diagnose.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- I've had anorexia for almost 5 years because it is always relapses, but I feel that I want be done for good. What is the best way for starting off recovery? For not feeling guilt even for a bite.
- What is the best diet for diverticulitis?
- Is surgery the best option for diverticulitis?
- What are the symptoms of anorexia?
- I had anorexia, "I cured myself" and now I am a compulsive eater….what should i do?
- I have a friend that feels fat and I would like to help her but I don't know how. How can I help her?
- How can be removed groin fungi?
- What are the symptoms of Sheehan syndrome?
- Do u need throat swab to diagnosis scarlet fever or is physical assessment enough?
- I suspect that I have suffered with PMDD for a long time and am now going through the menopause. i am having significant problems with depression and would like some advise on the best way to deal with this please?
Do you have a question about Cushings disease?
Our experts answered the following question about Cushings disease:
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.