Question about Charcot-Marie-Tooth diseaseMy nerologist assest me for CMT but stated i did not have it due to normal nerve conduction test however i have recantly read that sme types have a normal test. Could i still have CMT i have muscle loss on my lower legs and feet with both feet teiste with high arches?
If the nerve conduction test was properly performed and is truly normal then this rules out the group of genetic disorders known as Charcot-Marie-Tooth. Many people have high arched feet which raises the possibility of CMT but no underlying neurological diagnosis can be found. It might be worth considering an MRI of the lumbar spine lest there is a longstanding abnormality such as a tethered cord (would not be detected by nerve conduction studies) but if gait and continence are OK then this would probably be best left alone.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth runs in my family. Most doctors do not know much about it. Where do you think I can get the best help for my son and me?
- Is there a recognised specialist in Brachial Plexus nerve injuries in the UK?. My Mother had a fall resulting in a dislocation and damaged nerves in the left shoulder. She has little movement in her shoulder and only slight movement in thumb and forefinger. Lives in Birmingham but can travel
- My daughter is daydreaming always, it never meant any problem but recently she doesnt hear when we talk to hear, one time she bumped into a door because she didnt see it, she was so inmersed in her thoughts. Should i be afraid or just let her outgrow it?
- My father has glossopharyngel neuralgia and is currently on medication. The episodes have become worse of late. Is acupuncture an option?
- Please explain to me in layman’s terms what mild epileptic activity consists of. What are the symptoms and risks? How does it affect someone’s behaviour and how does it influence their life?
- does a mri scan of the brain (not mra ) show compression either of the Glossopharyngeal nerve and trigeminal nerves ? or the radiologist would have to go and look for compression?
- I'm asking you this since my mother was diagnosed with tension-induced headaches, a year ago, the treatment consists of painkillers and a profilactic before going to bed. The issue is that the pains are becoming more intense and more frequent and they haven't given any solutions. Is there anything she can do?
- i have had an mri spine which showed cervical spine two bulging discs and lunar spine two bulging discs as well as stage 1 facet joint degeneration, I work as a nurse. I continue to have sharp pain and numbness in both arms and legs/calf's what are my options?
- My husband has been diagnosed with Dupytren's disease. What causes his fingers to curl like that?
- I have had headache for 5 weeks and have double vision and being sick, it is doing my head in - what can i do about it?
Do you have a question about Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease?
Our experts have answered 2 questions about Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.