Question about Charcot-Marie-Tooth diseaseCharcot-Marie-Tooth runs in my family. Most doctors do not know much about it. Where do you think I can get the best help for my son and me?
CMT is often mild and can be left alone but some cases are disabling and need treatment though there is no cure. Step one would be to find out which of the many types of CMT your family has. When you have this key data, ask your GP and if (s)he is unfamiliar with CMT (GP's can't know everything) you could be referred to a neurologist, whose examination may be all that's required, alternatively electrical or genetic testing may be needed. I often see patients who need to know if they've inherited a condition that runs in the family and, at risk of stating the obvious, I need to have full data on the family condition. CMT is a term that covers a large number of inherited peripheral nerve disorders.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- My nerologist assest me for CMT but stated i did not have it due to normal nerve conduction test however i have recantly read that sme types have a normal test. Could i still have CMT i have muscle loss on my lower legs and feet with both feet teiste with high arches?
- Is there a cure for Trigeminal Neuralgia?
- My daughter is daydreaming always, it never meant any problem but recently she doesnt hear when we talk to hear, one time she bumped into a door because she didnt see it, she was so inmersed in her thoughts. Should i be afraid or just let her outgrow it?
- How would you define idiopathic intracranial hypertension?
- I'm asking you this since my mother was diagnosed with tension-induced headaches, a year ago, the treatment consists of painkillers and a profilactic before going to bed. The issue is that the pains are becoming more intense and more frequent and they haven't given any solutions. Is there anything she can do?
- My husband has Parkinson's disease, and, although his tremor is well controlled by drugs, it is the non-motor symptoms that are more distressing, yet remain unaddressed. He is constantly exhausted, unable to think clearly, and his memory has become very poor. Should he seek further advice?
- I have had headache for 5 weeks and have double vision and being sick, it is doing my head in - what can i do about it?
- My husband of 72 has had parkinsons for about 12 years. He now suddenly cannot walk. All this has happened within about 2 weeks. Can you suggest a way forward please?
- I;ve been feeling out of balance from time to time; blood pressure fairly normal..no other symptoms except tiredness. What could this be due to?
- My wife was diagnose with iih some months ago and also her iih is accompanied by seizures. My question is do other iih surfers have seizures as well and is keppra and Diamox good medication for seizures and iih respectively?
Do you have a question about Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease?
Our experts have answered 2 questions about Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.