Question about Charcot-Marie-Tooth diseaseCharcot-Marie-Tooth runs in my family. Most doctors do not know much about it. Where do you think I can get the best help for my son and me?
CMT is often mild and can be left alone but some cases are disabling and need treatment though there is no cure. Step one would be to find out which of the many types of CMT your family has. When you have this key data, ask your GP and if (s)he is unfamiliar with CMT (GP's can't know everything) you could be referred to a neurologist, whose examination may be all that's required, alternatively electrical or genetic testing may be needed. I often see patients who need to know if they've inherited a condition that runs in the family and, at risk of stating the obvious, I need to have full data on the family condition. CMT is a term that covers a large number of inherited peripheral nerve disorders.
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- My nerologist assest me for CMT but stated i did not have it due to normal nerve conduction test however i have recantly read that sme types have a normal test. Could i still have CMT i have muscle loss on my lower legs and feet with both feet teiste with high arches?
- My 11 year old son has been diagnosed with a golf ball sized brain tumor in the occipital lobe-after having seizures. The Neurosurgeon would like wants to take a wait and see approach, believing it is a slow growing noncancerous tumor. We know nothing and aren't even sure what questions to ask. What aree the main risks?
- What are the patellofermoral disorders?
- My uncle has osteoporosis. Now he has osteonecrosis. What does this mean for him?
- Back pain since early 20s then lumbar discitis 2009. Daily moderate pain/stiffness limits any lifting or sitting/standing in one position. Increasingly more prone to acute spasm episodes.Physiotherapy & Naproxen unhelpful. Is there a steroid injection for pain or anything else other than surgery?
- My husband has been diagnosed with Dupytren's disease. What causes his fingers to curl like that?
- Please explain to me in layman’s terms what mild epileptic activity consists of. What are the symptoms and risks? How does it affect someone’s behaviour and how does it influence their life?
- i have had an mri spine which showed cervical spine two bulging discs and lunar spine two bulging discs as well as stage 1 facet joint degeneration, I work as a nurse. I continue to have sharp pain and numbness in both arms and legs/calf's what are my options?
- I have my first consultation with my neurosurgeon tomorrow to find out if I am going to have surgery on my spinal tumour, which is interdural,extramedullary at L4\L5.if im not happy with the NS. would I be rude in asking for second opinion?
- Is Meniere's disease curable?
Do you have a question about Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease?
Our experts have answered 2 questions about Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.