Question about Avascular necrosisMy friends 17 year old son has been diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis in September 2016. He is on crutches and receiving pain relief and hydrotherapy. His mother is getting increasingly frustrated and worried that not enough is being done. what next? Any advice gratefully received.
Well it's very difficult to say what to do without seeing him, but if you want more information, then you need to speak to the treating Orthopaedic Surgeon. You are entitled to a second opinion if you are not happy with this.
In broad terms, early disease can be treated expectantly unless pain is bad. There is a procedure called core decompression, which can be coupled with a grafting procedure to reduce pain and hopefully improve the return of the blood supply to the affected femoral head. However, this can only be done before the surface of the joint has undergone permanent change on X-ray. If it is already altered, core decompression is not indicated. Unfortunately after this stage, most people with severe symptoms are managed with injections, physiotherapy and pain killers, but a significant proportion end up needing an early hip replacement.
See all 4 questions about Avascular necrosis
Other questions answered by Doctoralia's experts:
- Is avascular necrosis of the hips the same disease as infarct in the knee?
- I have been told today that my Avascular Necrosis, for which I was given an urgent appt with the Consultant is temporary, and will clear itself. This is contrary to everything I have read, can someone please advise me.?
- I have avn in multiple joints, areas within my femur & tibia caused by steriod treatment for leukaemia 19 years ago. Ive had both hips replaced & need major knee surgery soon. After removal of dead bone & joint replacement, can avn come back in remaining healthy bone?
- What is the best method of having a small xanthelasma removed?
- I am getting osteoarthritis in my hands. I am in my 50's. What do you recommend that I do so I can continue to play the piano and do other activities I enjoy?
- what is neurosarcoidosis?
- What is the best and most effective treatment for xanthelasma?
- What causes xanthelasma? Is it contagious, hereditary or other?
- Can xanthelasma be a cause of liver problems too?
- Is Otosclerosis worsened during pregnancy?
Do you have a question about Avascular necrosis?
Our experts have answered 4 questions about Avascular necrosis.
Ask thousands of Doctoralia experts anonymously and for free
- Your question will be published anonymously
- Make it one, clear, medical question
- Be brief
- This service doesn´t replace a consultation with a medical professional. If you have a problem or emergency, go to a doctor or an emergency room.
- Questions about a specific case or second opinion requests will not be allowed.
Legal Notice - doctoralia.co.uk - All contents published on Doctoralia are informative, and should never be considered a substitute for medical advice.